What We Do
- WHERE WE WORK
Welcome Message from Carol Jenkins
For more than 85 years, World Learning has equipped individuals and institutions to address the world’s most pressing problems. We believe that, working together with our partners, we can change this world for the better.
On my travels, I’ve had the opportunity to meet with many of those who have joined us in this mission. In Baghdad, we’ve trained more than 2,300 Iraqi youth who are already giving back at home. In London, our partners in the TAAP Initiative strongly believe that we are all responsible to practice inclusion. And in Vermont, our Experiment in International Living and School for International Training participants prove every day that they have the tools and the determination to change the world.
Please join us in our pursuit of a more peaceful and just world.
- Get Involved
The Ouargala University Career Center provides training, coaching, and other employment services to young graduates.
The southern city of Ouargla is one of Algeria’s most challenging job markets for youth. With support from Anadarko Petroleum, World Learning has offered one-on-one career guidance, professional soft skills and civic engagement training, English for the Workplace courses, career fairs, and other employment services to students at the University of Ouargla since 2013.
These programs have had an important impact on local youth. In a 2016 survey of more than 200 career center alumni, 72 percent of young job seekers had found employment, while 90 percent reported that they had applied their new skills to launching their careers.
- Upgrade training methods and materials to enable the university career center to offer more robust training courses.
- Offer English for the workplace courses.
- Identify students’ appropriate career paths based on individual skills, personality traits, and aspirations.
- Provide supplemental trainings in essential professional skills and civic engagement to prepare the young participants to be dynamic, motivated, and conscious recruits.
- Reinforce linkages between the technical schools and local businesses to ensure the relevance and sustainability of services offered to young job seekers.