Duration: September 2010 to March 2015
Funder: U.S. Department of State
AULP develops capacity in selected Algerian universities to design and deliver high quality, industry-driven programs of study in English as a Foreign Language and Business. World Learning supports university career centers to create opportunities for students through the development of viable links to private industry and a targeted soft skills training program. This AULP program is carried out by a team led by World Learning that includes its SIT Graduate Institute, the Thunderbird School of Global Management, and Education for Employment.
World Learning presents a collaborative and innovative program to help its Algerian university partners respond to the needs of Algerian youth. This approach maximizes the number of linkages created with Algerian universities as well as the geographic spread of U.S. institutions. AULP is enhancing mutual understanding and educational improvements through cooperation in higher education between U.S. and Algerian institutions.
AULP includes five components:
- Curriculum review and recommendations for the relevant disciplines including English and Business;
- English language instruction to improve teaching and learning capabilities and to widen the use of English in Algeria;
- Real-time instruction via digital video conferencing technologies to connect U.S. and Algerian faculty, staff, and students;
- Faculty and staff exchanges to facilitate curriculum review and the mutual exchange of knowledge; and
- Career development centers to strengthen linkages between the Algerian higher education system and private sector and provide practical and marketable skills to Algerian university students.